- Smartfren is one of the leading mobile operators in Indonesia.
- They operate 4G LTE network at present after shifting from CDMA.
- Smartfren has been awarded a license to offer nationwide LTE services in Indonesia.
- Before starting the LTE roll-out of 7000 sites, they want to –
- Verify the quality and customer perception of their existing CDMA Network
- Optimize the CDMA network to deliver better quality to their end customers
- Scan the LTE frequency band for potential sources of interference
Network Benchmarking and Optimization for Smartfren Indonesia
Client and the Background
Objective of Innovis Engagement
- Perform a thorough Drive Test of the network across 10 cities in Indonesia to gather CDMA network quality data.
- Scan the LTE frequency spectrum to identify sources of interference.
- Present a detailed report to Smartfren Management on
- Present network quality of CDMA network
- Benchmarking Smarfren network against their major competitors in Indonesia
- Smartfren?s network quality position in a global network quality framework
- Detailed methodology for optimizing the network
- Sources of interference in LTE frequency spectrum
- Seek approval of Smartfren management on the network optimization methodology.
- Optimize the CDMA Network as agreed with Smartfren.
- Perform a drive test once again to showcase improvement in network quality to Smartfren.
- Innovis? network optimization experts studied various periodic reports of Smartfren?s network quality and customer complaints.
- Interviewed key people from Smartfren organisation to understand key bottlenecks in the network and geographical areas of customer complaints.
- We deployed multiple drive test teams to collect data from 10 largest cities of Indonesia.
- Tools used ?
- Drive Testing (DT) ? XCAL P8+
- DT Data Processing and Analysis ? XCAL
- Frequency Interference ? Rhode & Schwartz Frequency Scanner
- RAN, Core, Transmission and IP Data ? NMS of respective vendors
- Innovis? RAN, Core, Transmission and IP experts collected NMS data to analyse bottlenecks at various interfaces in the CDMA Network.
- Checked the accuracy of reporting by the vendors by comparing with raw data from network management system.
- Analysed NMS data for Radio, Core, Transmission and IP.
- Processed and analysed drive test data using Actix post processing tool.
- Based on data analysis, we reported various improvement areas to Smartfren, most of which were approved by the management for implementation
- The recommendations were implemented by Innovis? field teams.
- After the implementation of recommendations, 2nd drive test was conducted to showcase the improved network quality.
- Most of the network improvement recommendations were accepted and implemented by the management of Smartfren.
- The second drive test showed improved network quality after the recommendations were implemented.